Friday, May 31, 2013

Spoonerisms

   
     My husband introduced me to Spoonerisms years ago, and we sometimes enjoy using them in everyday conversation. For instance, rather than "take a shower", we'll "shake a tower". It's fun to play with words in this manner because it's pretty easy and it's often met with people having to take a few seconds to think about what you just said when you use them.

     Shel Silverstein once wrote a poem using a whole bunch of Spoonerisms:


     If you'd like more of the same, you can check out his book, Runny Babbit: A Billy Sook.

  
     Here are some more common Spoonerism sayings to use in everyday conversation:

     "I must mend the sail." (send the mail)

     "Would you like some belly jeans?" (jelly beans)

     "I need a broaf of lead." (loaf of bread)

     "I need to clip my noe tails" (toe nails)

     "I hear bedding wells!" (wedding bells)

     "Nye for bow!" (Bye for now!)


     I hope you enjoy thinking up more Spoonerisms, and feel free to use them in your future conversations just for the fun of it!



No comments:

Post a Comment